Tuesday 15 May 2012

The Block 2012 Week 2

Ok so better late than never right :-) These rooms are a little bit of old news but I'm addicted and can't miss my opportunity to give my opinion. I've been struggling to watch all the episodes as they are on at a really busy time for me with teaching, work and family commitments. Also apparently watching them online uses a buttload of internet as I learned after using up all our usage very quickly this month........ :-P So I've missed a few eps but I am still getting enough to know what's going on.

Ok, Week Two or Hell Week as they called it in the ads. Two rooms each, main bedroom and ensuite. An absolute crap week of stress and minimal sleep for all involved and I tell you what, I was equally unimpressed with the amount of challenges thrown at them this week because I feel this caused slightly less quality from all of the couples.

Dan and Dani's - Main Bedroom/Ensuite

Walls - Again the light grey from earlier, I really like it and think keeping the same colour scheme throughout the house will work. Also I'm Loving the warm tiles in the ensuite, they create quite a relaxed and luxurious look for me.
Floors - Again loving the dark carpet. I can just imagine rubbing my feet in it and it feels so comfy. And the tiles in the ensuite flowing onto the floor, a Big Tick from me :-)
Furniture - I love, love, love the artwork, not sure why the judges hated it? The bed was a bit, been there, done that after last week but it's their style....... The curtains and the cupboards looked
very professional and well thought out. The bedside lamps are a bit sexy but to me bedside tables are a must in a master bedroom. The toilet and shower were a good choice and the sliding door in the centre is great. I really felt for them with all the drama over their multiple basin choices that failed epically and I like the aesthetic of the small basin but I don't think it's going to work at all in an ensuite, which is basically used as a bathroom for two people every day......

My vote 7/10
The bedroom was a bit been there done that but their style is so strong, I like it. I don't, however, think this bedroom is going to function as such a great Master Bedroom, I personally need a lot more in my bedroom. The ensuite was well thought out and I think they were so clever with the sliding door and separate ends for shower and toilet. Unfortunately their plans for this room just did not happen and the it was unfinished by judging with no grout in the tiles, the sink not plumbed in and the taps being set for a higher design of basin but it was a great effort.

Mike and Andrew's - Master Bedroom/Ensuite

Walls - Yay!! Colour. The boys have gone for a Hotel oppulence here and I'm loving it! Again like the others just a light grey but I am so over stark white, it's exciting! The ensuite is a greyish painted glass. I have not really seen this done before and I love it but it would be a pain to clean and keep perfect.
Floors - I like the colour of the carpet but I'm a little wary of it as it looks a bit "public office"-ish and maybe a but uncomfortable/scratchy. Although I may be completely wrong..... I like that the tiles in the shower run down and across the floor it creates
a really nice visual line.
Furniture - The bed, bedside tables, bedside lamps and wall hangings are lovely. But I agree with the judges that they're missing a bit of personality. The cupboards were exceptional and the recessed curtains, OMG!!! Yes! I like the glass doors for the shower and ensuite entry, and the basin and tap ware were beautiful and functional and I am so impressed with the toilet cistern in the vanity! Also Rain shower head, oooohhhhh!

My vote 7.5/10
Pretty nice. I'm not going to say there's anything I hate here but I don't love too much of it either. The functionality and execution were right on par but there's just a bit of life lacking. Although it would make a great hotel room and to me that means the boys have achieved exactly what they wanted. Maybe this team are missing the female touch, just a bit, but they won so who am I to talk.

Brad and Lara's - Master Bedroom/Ensuite/Walk in Robe

Walls -  Cream! Not far from white but again it's not white! Also the dark colour behind the bed works sooooooo well! I love it! And I'm still so, so happy this couple are restoring the period features of the house. It's the closest to the style I would have chosen myself. The dark painted glass in the ensuite is very swish, I love it.
Floors - I like the carpet, a creamy/brown colour and looks very soft and comfortable. I totally agree with the judges that the white square tiles on the ensuite floor were so cheap looking I actually cringed when I saw them on the show. WHY??
Furniture - Yes, yes, yes, they got it soooo right. I love the bed and the recessed bedhead/wall! So clever. The chair in the corner is pretty but I would never use a chair in my bedroom ever, only to throw clothes on..... Streamlined blinds, tick. Wall hanging, ummm. Ceiling fan, tick. Stainless steel power outlets, Urgh!! Walk in robe, yes, yes, yes, a big selling point for me and I loved the full length mirror as I'm dying living without one currently! Also the recessed lighting in there is A+. The ensuite vanity, I loved, and the door/draw clash thing wouldn't faze me either. The recessed toilet rocks and the shower is sexy!

My vote 7.5/10
I would have given it an eight were it not for those hideous floor tiles in the ensuite. This set of rooms, has warmth, light and functionality. I could see me living here and loving this room. There's a lot of great ideas floating in this room and they're working. I just need this couple to settle on their style and I'll be happy to settle in with them.

Sophie and Dale's - Master Bedroom/Ensuite

WallsCream. Yes people all 4 teams have chosen a colour!! Yay, do you think they read my blog?.... Hmm, probably not since this was filmed ten weeks ago....... Love the cream, but again they went with the gray/blueish skirting. Noooo! The tiling in the ensuite rocks! It's just the style and colour I would have chosen. It's very fresh, clean and bright.
Floors - The carpet is a very similar colour to the tiles, I like it but it's a bit pale for such a heavily used room. I'm a fan of the tiles on the ensuite floor repeating from the walls. It's fresh.
Furniture - The bed is cute, I like the colours and the bedhead really works for me. Continuing the mason jar lighting is clever and the side table cut in half and attached to the wall as bedside tables turned out much better than I was expecting. Yay, decent curtains, they listened last week, very good! I'm actually a huge fan of the ottoman and the bird wall hanging, don't know why though.... In the ensuite I like the double basins and the waterfall taps are cute but maybe a little gimmicky.... Great lighting, great shower but I absolutely agree with the judges that the toilet is a failing as a concealed cistern would have given then so much more space. It's ok for these two who are rake thin but anyone else will be uncomfortable squeezing around it.

My Vote 7/10
A marked improvement on the first week, this room is designed to a much more sophisticated edge and has a lot more style to it. Still I don't think it's right for the selling market but they've locked into this style and they're sticking to it. I just hope they kick it up this much every week!!

So soon to come will be my week three review and my what I would have done post. I'm off to scour Pinterest for a few more ideas.....

See you soon xxoo
Roxanne

No comments:

Post a Comment